Hi Clemens,

I commented out all the pwc stuff and I still get the system freeze when I add the line

alias sound-slot-1 snd-audio-usb

I have also tried commenting out the ICE1712 as well but it this also does not fix it.

Upon reboot modules.conf is corrupted (I've learned to keep a backup). I am using an XFS filing system.

Also if I find the version...

cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.0rc8.
Compiled on Mar 14 2003 for kernel 2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk with versioned symbols.

The mm in the kernel is the multi-media patched kernel for Mandrake (contrib). I guessed this may be a reason for the system freeze so I tried the standard kernel also. Same result, system freeze.

I see Alsa is up to 0.9.3 now. That is probably the next thing to try...

Thanks,
SimonB.

Clemens Ladisch wrote:

Simon Blandford wrote:

I have an M-Audio Audiophile card that works fine on this Mandrake 9.1
installation but I can't get the USB mic on the Logitech Quickcam 4000
to work.

My current modules.conf audio settings are...
#For Logitech QuickCam 4000 Pro
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 pwc
options pwc size=vga leds=250,250 fps=25 mbufs=3 compression=0
#Extended proprietry driver stuff
post-install pwc /sbin/insmod --force -k
/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.16mm-mdk/kernel/drivers/usb/pwcx.o.gz >/dev/null \
2>&1 || :
# Enable the usb microphone in the webcam
alias sound-slot-1 audio
alias sound-service-1-0 audio

"audio" is the kernel's OSS driver. You really shouldn't load OSS and ALSA drivers (such as snd-ice1712) at the same time.

I've tried changing the USB mic settings to...
alias sound-slot-1 snd-audio
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-audio

ALSA's USB driver is names snd-usb-audio ...

...and I've also tried snd-usb-audio too, only that results in a
complete system freeze when Alsa starts. Nasty.

snd-usb-audio should work. Probably you have an old ALSA version (see /proc/asound/version), but I guess there's a conflict when snd-usb-audio and the proprietary driver both try to access the device at the same time. Please try loading snd-usb-audio without the pwc/pwcx modules.

HTH Clemens