They are not cooperating.  Period.  I have spent _hours_ trying to get
alsarecord to work, and all I get is:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ arecord -D hw:0,0 test.wav
Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
arecord: set_params:805: Sample format non available

I have tried every sample rate conceivable, to no avail.  For some
reason, the above command worked ONCE, but I have not been able to
recreate that success.  Does anybody have an ice1712 based card that
they've been able to use with alsarecord?

Peace,
=Pete
--
You can only run configure at the top level of the Ardour source tree.
You don't want to know why this is true.  Don't try to work around it.