the problem with ice1712 is that it has nothing like the "main volume" control
as found on "normal consumer cards".

You're limited to use envy24control or alsamixer, sucks but true :(

/Thomas

First of all thanks to the ALSA team for their excellent work - I've been
using
the ens1371 driver for a couple of years without any problems. I recently
bought
a Revolution 7.1 after I noticed it was supported by ALSA, and with help
of

comments on this list I've managed to get it to work with mplayer and xmms,
both native and OSS emulation.

The only thing I can't seem to figure out is how to control the volume except
when using alsa-mixer directly. Controlling the playback volu
>e through mplayer
or xmms seems to be not possible, not with native drivers, nor with OSS
emulation. This has been the case with all versions of alsa since support
was
added for the M-Audio Revolution (i.e. since before 0.9.0). My /etc/asound.conf

>s listed below.

So the question is: how do I explain to applications how to control the
playback
volume - either through OSS emulation or through native drivers?

Thanks in advance,

Bram Verweij
---

/etc/asound.conf;