> >     I think there is something else going on here. I can not get
> > sound to work with either the OSS drivers or ALSA, but it does work
> > under Windows (so I know the hardware is OK). As I mentioned before, I
> > can get both OSS and ALSA working with an extra sound card I have lying
> > around, so I know I'm doing the steps correctly, it just seems that
> > neither the OSS or ALSA driver correctly supports the onboard hardware. As
> > another data point, I just tried the commercial OSS driver and it works
> > with the onboard sound so I'm pretty sure it is not a hardware problem.
>
> i wrote hardware "set-up".  it doesn't mean that the hardware is
> broken.  as mentioned above, the power-management might play a role
> here, which is basically a job of the kernel core.

        Power-management? How would that affect the sound driver? I
thought you were talking about APIC - the extended interrupts. In any
event, I have power management disabled and I have tried it with both
APIC interrupts and without. I'm still failry skeptical about it being a
hardware problem because I can:

1) load commercial OSS drivers  -> works
2) unload commercial drivers
3) load ALSA drivers            -> does not work, strange error messages
4) Reload commercial OSS driver -> works

        So, without rebooting (so no change in interrupt allocation, io
base whatever else) one set of drivers works and the other does not. BTW
OSS/Free drivers also do not work. What I don't know is how to go about
troubleshooting why the ALSA driver seems to not work?

Thanks,

-poul