> Found the kernel after and got the driver compiled.  There is still no
> sound when I reboot with the alsa driver selected though.  I've tried
> working my way through the syslog and I notice the following lines:
>
> Jun 19 22:18:51 localhost modprobe:
> /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o:
> Jun 19 22:18:51 localhost modprobe: unresolved symbol snd_verbose_printk
> Jun 19 22:18:51 localhost modprobe: modprobe: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o failed
> Jun 19 22:18:51 localhost modprobe: modprobe: insmod snd-cs46xx failed
>
> I also tried KMix to increase the volumes but it just appears with a
> grey window.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Garvin.

I'm no expert, so maybe I'm wrong here. The command "modinfo snd" showed this
result on my system:

filename:    /lib/modules/2.4.21-ck1/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o
author:      "Jaroslav Kysela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>"
license:     "GPL"
parm:        major int, description "Major # for sound driver."
parm:        cards_limit int, description "Count of soundcards installed in
the system."

So this is the "general" module, everything else depends on it. It compiled
fine but there's an unresolved symbol, so something is wrong. I remember when
I first compiled my kernel that "soundcore" should be compiled as a module
for working with ALSA (can't remember if built-in works, too). Check if you
have a module called "soundcore" with 'lsmod'. If there is not, *maybe*
you'll have to compile the kernel (ask for a second opinion on this, I'm not
sure) to enable it. If there is, maybe you should search for
incompatibilities elsewhere: gcc version, modutils version, kernel headers
not matching *exactly* your kernel version... If all this fails, you could
consider compiling the kernel yourself from scratch. It's very time-consuming
at first, but you'll learn a lot from Linux if you have the time. There are
some good tutorials out there. I'm sorry I can't be of any more help here,
fortunately I never had much problems runnig ALSA. Good luck!

P.S.: 'depmod -a' will give you a list of problematic modules (if any, which
is the case) in your system.