[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> then I unpacked alsa-driver-0.9.4 into /usr/src/alsa.  I ran <./configure> in
> that directory.  Then <make>, and it compiled for about 50 minutes.

If you do "./configure --with-cards=ymfpci", it should compile faster.

> cat WARNING
> cat: WARNING: No such file or directory
> make: *** [install] Error 1

The WARNING file says that all mixer channels are muted by default.
There aren't any disastrous consequences if it's missing, but you
should investigate why it wasn't unpacked, or how it got deleted.

> alias snd-card-0 snd-card-ymfpci

The name of driver is not snd-card-ymfpci but snd-ymfpci.

> I got no sound when I tried to play an audio cd.

Is there a cable between your CD drive and the CD audio input
connector on your motherboard?

> Sound server informational message
> device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No Such Device)

This should go away after you've corrected the alias line in
modules.conf.

HTH
Clemens