Ok, after investigating a bit further I found some lines in the
toplevel Makefile where "install" is told to set the group and
ownership to "root".

Why do we need to tell "install" to explicitly set those
ownership rights? ...since one has to be root or belong to the
root group to be able to install alsa-driver, or, if one wants
to make and rpm the %defattr(-,root,root) macro tells rpmbuild
to set the ownership to group "root" and user "root" of all the
files in the rpm.

--
Registered Linux user #298569
The world really isn't any worse.  It's just that the news coverage