Robert Liguori wrote:
> First, how do you technically refer to an onboard sound card?  Is it a card?

Not really, but ALSA uses the term "card" to refer to those, er,
things for historical reasons, regardless of the type ("real" card/
onboard/USB/PCMCIA/virtual (like snd-virmidi or snd-dummy)).

> Also,  there is no supported driver for what I have with ALSA.

Are you sure? What is it?

> How do I ignore the onboard card when I install a new one?

You may be able to deactivate it in the BIOS, but this isn't necessary
with PCI devices.

HTH
Clemens