Hi all,

I'm having problems getting the builtin sound card on my Asus A7V8X-X to
work properly on Redhat 9.0.  The documentation I have says it's using
an ADI AD1980 which uses an AC'97 codec.  Redhat's soundcard
autodetection identifies it as a VIA 8233 AC97 Audio Controller, and
adds the via82cxxx_audio to /etc/modules.conf.  This module sort of kind
of works, in that sound comes out of the microphone port, but esd locks
less than a second into playing anything in xmms using esound.  OSS
works ok.

The next step was to install the alsa 0.9.4 rpms from freshrpms.net
These worked well, and got esd working without crashing, and sound
coming out of the correct port.

However, as weird as it sounds, sound coming out of the left speaker is
fuzzy and scratchy, sort of sounding vaguely like a blown speaker.
However, switching back to the via82cxxx_audio driver, or playing a cd
sound fine, so I'm having a hard time believing it actually is a blown
speaker, or other similar hardware problem (I was thinking blown amp in
the soundcard as well).

Also, on a similar note, it seems that the setting for "Surround"
controls the main volume, as opposed to master, and "aux" controls cd
volume.  I'm inclined to think this is also indicative of the problem.

Tonight I downloaded, compiled, and installed alsa 0.9.5 from the
tarballs (I uninstalled the rpms first), but I don't notice any
difference.

I'm totally stumped.  Does anyone have any insight as to what might be
going on, or where I might go from here to troubleshoot?

Thanks,

Scotty

--
Haiku's inventor