Hi Rich,

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 10:53:19PM -0500, Richard Drummond wrote:
> Has anybody managed to get an FM device to work with the ALSA cmipci driver? I
> have a CMI8738 card and have tried endless permutations of kernel version,
> alsa version, config options and MIDI players and nothing seems to work. Or,
> at least, everything works, but there's never any sound produced.
>
> I've tried ALSA 0.9.4 and 0.9.5 under kernels 2.4.20 and 2.4.21. I've tried
> kernel 2.5.75. I've tried using playmidi with the OSS emulation. I've tried
> pmidi (using the sbiload tool from alsa-tools to load the instruments first).
> No joy. I've even hacked together an old piece of OSS example code to
> directly access the synth via /dev/dmfm. Not a peep.
>
> What am I missing? (Yes. The synth volume is turned up in the mixer ;-) Or is
> the cmipci driver incomplete in this regard?
>
> (BTW, the FM device works under Windows. I've not had any joy with the OSS
> driver in the kernel. Even when the MIDI and FM synth options are enabled in
> the kernel config, the driver doesn't seem to export a /dev/sequencer
> interface. It does export a /dev/unknown interface with minor device number
> 15. I'm not sure what that's supposed to be.)

No help here (besides did you make sure the mixer is unmuted, not just
turned up??) , but I have a cmi8738 card that the FM works on, but the
output is seriously jumbled up.  Haven't had time to track down the
problem with it.  There is a note on the ALSA Wiki about this problem,
but a previous post of mine asking if anyone had a working CMI8738 OPL3
that sounded correct met with no response.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253