(resolved, not solved...)

Welp, I solved my problem by going back to 0.9.0rc6, which I determined
was the version I had working before (never delete anything is my
motto). It worked first time after a dead-stock installation. It also
works simultaneously with linmodem HSF drivers, so it wasn't any of
that.

To recap, 0.9.5 fails on my system, but 0.9.0rc6 works:

Sony Vaio VX-89 (VX-88)
RedHat 7.3
2.4.40 kernel with ACPI patches
xmms 1.27-1