On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:19:59 -0700 (PDT)
Eddie Gleaton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm having what appears to be a common problem. When
> doing the ./configure for the drivers, I get the
> message
> >  checking for kernel version... The file
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-19.9/build/include/linux/version.h
> does not exist.
> Please, install the package with full kernel sources
> for your distribution
> or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another
> directory with kernel
> sources (default is /usr/src/linux).
> > I've tried using --with-kernel=/usr/src/linux-2.4
> I've tried using the "touch"
> In short I've tried about everything I've read in
> Wiki-Wiki, ALSA web page to install ALS4000, and all
> the alsa-user list I can find.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> > I'm using Red Hat 9, kernel 2.4.20-19.9, I have the
> drivers, lib, and utils for alsa 0.9.4
> I'm a really novice ..., but I was successful with RedHat 9
and Alsa 0.9.5 as follows:
1. Installed the -full- set of the kernel updates (src, i686, etc)
   from RedHat with rpm -ivh ...
2. used --with-kernel=/lib/modules/($uname -r)/build

regards, Scott.

You need the _configured_ kernel source that matches your installed kernel. Either get the pre-configured kernel source from your red hat cd's or download and build your own kernel. The file version.h does not exist unless you've already run 'make config'.

-Gary