I can play music using XMMS, and I can arecord/aplay using various formats, on
SuSE 8.2 (which has alsa-0.9.0-cvs20030217). I'm trying to use Audacity
(tried both 1.1.1 and 1.1.3) and it can play back an opened file, but it
garbles any recorded "overdub" track. It sounds like it is pitch shifted down
an octave, and somewhat distorted (clipping?). With no file loaded, Audiology
can record the first track correctly, but any subsequent "overdub" track is
again garbled. Doesn't matter which format I use (but 24-bit does not work at
all in audiology!? 32-bit float does work?!?). Anybody seen this?

Anyone else using an M-Audio Audiophile 2496? Any suggestions?

I'd be willing to help diagnose this, maybe even hack some code. That is
probably a subject for the alsa-dev list? I thought I would start here first.

BTW, envy24control seems to work (but I don't yet understand why it has so
many channels? my Audiophile has only 4 in and 4 out), but Kmix is blank? I
would have expected it to connect at least to the analog DAC volume controls?
Weird, Audiology 1.1.1 has a working volume control, but 1.1.3 does nothing?

p.s. So what's the deal with the picture of the little penguin, and the word
"Linux" on the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 box? No mention inside or on web site?

--
Juhan Leemet
Logicognosis, Inc.