David Morse wrote:
> One fellow suggested I had not enough ACPI support in my kernel, but
> hasn't explained what Alsa's ACPI requirements are, exactly.

ALSA simply requires that interrupts actually get delivered to the
driver. This won't happen when the interrupt controller isn't
programmed correctly. (You can check in /proc/interrupts if any
interrupts arrive.)

The kernel option(s) to use depend on the chipset and the kernel
version (and I don't know about the nforce). You could try disabling
ACPI with the pci=noacpi kernel parameter. The folks in
comp.os.linux.hardware may know more about this.

HTH
Clemens