Hi,

I'm having some pbs getting alsa to work with my setup.

I own a gericom x5force laptop that has a via8233 integrated chipset.
I'm using Alsa 0.9.4 on a Debian testing, with a 2.4.21 kernel using the
lowlatency patch & the preempt patch.
Alsa works very nicely with the via8233 integrated sound chip.

I recently bought a M-Audio Quattro sound card + the M-Audio Oxygen8
Keystation.
I'm rather happy with it, sound quality is simply excellent and i have a
very small latency with windows using asio drivers.

Since both of those devices a controled by the snd-usb-audio driver,
I only can get access to one of those with my actual /etc/modutils/alsa,
if both devices are switched on, only the quattro works, if only the
keystation is switched on, the keystation works (well, at least i can
see some activity on /dev/sequencer when playing notes or turning the
knobs, i haven't took the time to use it in a real midi application).

I've tried several combinations of options in /etc/modutils/alsa trying
to use id string, product id or vendor id, but couldn't make both work.

Furthermore, is it possible, to make the quattro work as the first
device when it's connected, and fall back to the via8233 chipset when
not ?

One last thing, did someone already managed to get full-duplex (even
just in stereo at 16bits/44100hz) with the quattro interface ?

I couldn't,
Jack just crashes with the quattro, while it works with the via chipset.
"
creating alsa driver ... quattro1|1024|2|44100|swmon|swmeter|rt
open
port alsa_pcm:capture_1 has mixdown = 0x4002a77c
port alsa_pcm:capture_2 has mixdown = 0x4002a77c
port alsa_pcm:playback_1 has mixdown = 0x4002a77c
port alsa_pcm:playback_2 has mixdown = 0x4002a77c
starting engine
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:494:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed:
Broken pipe
could not start playback (Broken pipe)
"

My own tries with libasound don't work either ( I can only blame my poor
system coding skills, libasound's API is maybe powerfull, but still a
bit too complex for me )

RTAudio's in_out example has glitches using a 512 samples buffer, and
crashes when using a larger buffer (1024/2048).
(both with alsa and the OSS layer).

Thanks in advance for any answer,

Best regards,
Florent

-----

My actual /etc/modutils/alsa:

If someone could just tell what's to be changed to make the Keystation
and the Quattro work at the same time.

"
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
options snd major=116 cards_limit=4

alias snd-card-0 snd-usb-audio
alias snd-card-1 snd-via82xx
options snd-via82xx index=1 dxs_support=3

alias sound-slot-0  snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss