>> snd-rtctimer now loads when I start a sequencer, but the timing
>> problems remain, without a change.
>
> Then it's probably that some driver disables all interrupts during a
> lengthy operation.
>
> When the problem occurs, are there any disk accesses or graphics
> operations?
>
> Try enabling dma or changing the unmaskirq setting of your hard disk
> with hdparm.

I have now tried these things:

Changing unmaskirq for my harddrives (DMA was already enabled)
Running X without nvidias proprietary drivers (ie using the builtin X
drivers)
Shutting down gkrellm and other programs, and running X with a
solid black background
Temporarily shutting down the swap partition
Unloading every module not needed for sound
Moving the soundcard to reside alone on IRQ9

But this did not help, and the problems remain exactly the same. It
didn't seem as if there were any disk accesses during playback, and the
only graphic operations were the drawing of the Muse interface. Is there
something I could do that would help locate the exact source of my
problems? I really need to have MIDI functional on my computer, so I'd
be thankful for any help.

//Markus