Hi,

Has anyone gotten the VIA8233 AC97 Audio Controller to work reliably on
Linux using the Alsa via82xx driver?

I followed the instructions on the alsa project website, got it to work
but sometimes it simply ceases to work.  I use a tv program (mythtv) and a
dvd program (ogle).  Last night I played the tv and there was audio then I
quit the program, started the dvd player and there was NO audio.

So I rebooted the system.  Tried the tv program again, NO audio.
Rebooted & tried the dvd player, NO audio.

Could someone send me a list of things I need to have set in order for a
program to access /dev/dsp properly?

The audio controller also has an IEC958 SPDIF output as well, how would I
set that up properly to use digital audio output?

Thanks for ANY help concerning this.

-- Andrew