On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:25:43 +0200
Frank Barknecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't want to put half tested things up there, but if some people
> could try the following:

Hi

Here's some results - I've been fiddling with this a lot as well! This
is all with an Audiophile 2496 too.

pcm.dsp0 {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "dmix"
}

alsaplayer -d dsp0 foo.ogg &
alsaplayer -d dsp0 bar.ogg &
aplay -D dsp0 foo.wav &
aplay -D dsp0 bar.wav

does what it should. The more complex method you give achieves the same
result - the advantage I suppose is that you can set period size (It
seems you can only set this for "hw:" pcms).

Trying aoss with either the simple or complex variation does not work at
all - I tried it with ogg123, SpiralSynthModular, Sweep and XMMS, and
they all fail with "file not found". Which is odd.

The attached simple oss test program reveals that setting the sample
rate may be the source of the problem.

# ./oss_test
Opening of /dev/dsp successful
Set format successful
Set channels to 2 successful
Set sample rate to 44100 successful

# aoss ./oss_test
Opening of /dev/dsp successful
Set format successful
Set channels to 2 successful
SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED: No such file or directory

This happens even when using snd-dummy as card 0. I've no idea what to
try next.

-
Myk