Hi,

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 08:36:16PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Message: 2
> From: The Peach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:26:18 +0200
> Subject: [Alsa-user] Um, can't do GETOSPACE?
>
> Hi all,
>       this is my first post and the problem I've got is quite annoying.
>
> I've got alsa 0.9.8 installed and a emu10k1 (sb live! 5.1 rev. 10)
>
> the problem arises when trying to let TeamSpeak2 and quake3 working
> together.
>
> The TeamSpeak FAQ suggested to issue this command to disable recording
> for a particular app ("quake3.x86"):
>
> [code]
> # echo "quake3.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
> # echo "quake3.x86 0 0 disable" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
> [/code]
>

> but after that what I get is that quake will never hang on a blank
> screen, but it just starts with no sound.
>
> What I can read on the quake console is this:
>
> [code]
> ---sound initialization-----
> um, can't do GETOSPACE?
> ----------------------------
> [/code]
>

> any hint?
That refers to the SNDCTL_DSP_GETOSPACE ioctl (OSS emulation).

Try running quake with strace -f to find out what gets returned when
it does that ioctl, then find out why the ALSA OSS layer handles it that
way (in alsa-driver/acore/oss/pcm_oss.c).

> thanks in advance,
>
>       The Peach
>
> PS: oss emulation drivers are loaded and correctly working if quake is
> launched alone
Loaded maybe - correctly working... hmm.
(I'm also having some other problems with the current OSS emulation
implementation...)

Andreas Mohr