So this one is curious:

I have ALSA compiled and configured from the latest Gentoo portage, the
version is 0.9.2 with a 2.4.20 kernel. I get lots of clicks and pops when
playing CDs or ogg vorbis audio. Then just tonight I play this divx movie
with mplayer and the clicks are gone. WTF?! I noticed that the sample rate
of the movie audio is 32000 and all the audio I'm trying to play is 44100.

Is there a way to resample through the ALSA configuration file so that the
pitch will not shift? It appears that mplayer is resampling since the
audio was playing back in sync with the video. I realize others have
compiled a 2.6 kernel and fixed this particular crackle problem but I have
also tried this and it is far too complicated of a task just to fix the
audio driver (my initial config and compile with gentoo
mm-sources-2.6.0-test5 resulted with most of my hardware not working at
all). I'll get there some day but I'm curious if there is a way to do it
with a 2.4 kernel.

-lee