On Tuesday 02 December 2003 16:37, Dennis Jansen wrote:
>Dear Developers,
>
>as the support by sound card producers is very important for a
> driver to work completely and perfectly it would be nice for us
> users to know, which companies supply the most information and help
> out most during writing the drivers. That could be shown on the
> homepage for users as a buying orientation.
>I think it is important that users are encouraged to buy their
> soundcard for linux, too.
>
>So please you developers - support us, the users, and help yourself
> by telling us which companies cooperate best.
>This should encourage the ones that don't as well as give the users
> an aid in buying a linux-friendly card.
>And it's not much work for you guys to just post it on the webpage.
>
>If you find that to help out a lot, then consider creating a
>certificate-logo for linux audio support by ALSA.
>For that certificate a license could be bought from companies for
>supported cards. That fee then can help the development of more and
>better audio drivers.
>
>I hope my suggestions are new, effective and easy to realize.
>
>Thanks to all OpenSource developers-
>for all your work already,
>for reading this mail,
>for everything!
>
>Dennis Jansen
>Berlin, Germany

I'll second that motion in a heartbeat, Dennis.  Its a very good idea.

The same basic idea can also be applied, and I wish it were, to video
cards.  I've been burnt a couple of times on those rascals.  In
either case, it would be nice if, in asking the vendor if he is going
to support linux, to be able to quote a url where his support
performance so far is rated.  It might encourage better support once
their legal beagles report that 'well, its the truth, whats to sue
for?'

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD [EMAIL PROTECTED] 320M