Naturally, as soon as I posted the problem, I figured
out the solution myself.

When I set the configure prefix to /usr/pebble, that
got applied to ALL the target paths, including the
ones used at runtime. This is a problem because the
target filesystem is at /usr/pebble when compiling,
but it's at / after I copy the fs over to the compact
flash card that the embedded system boots from.

The thing was looking for
/usr/pebble/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf and not finding
it. When I created such a path on the target fs, it
started to work.

Of course, my original debugging problem still stands:
How can I get alsa to print out this error?

=====
-- Bart