Greetings all,
when I try to run alsamixer (as root) or alsamixergui (from KDE ) I get the
following error and I can't unmute the sound.   Here's the error from
alsamixer;

 alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
directory

 I'm assuming whatever "default"  is, is set wrong.

AlsamixerGui worked fine with my onboard sound, AC97, Via technologies, went
fubar when I disabled the AC97 and put in the SoundBlaster.  I put in the
soundblaster because my motherboard has a case intrusion alarm that plays
through the AC97 that I can't disable.....

 Any help for this one?

 BTW, I'm running  alsa-0.9.0.6rc1_2 in Mandrake 9.1.
 Card is a Creative Labs SoundBlaster LIve Value.

 Thanks