Let me start off by saying that I salute the long and hard work that
developers everywhere put into their products.  I am not a developer, nor do
I play one on TV.  I'm just a professional user and tech support person.  I
like to think I have above-average skills and experience, along with the
ability to relate to the "typical" computer user.

Yeah, it was all free - and I'm not asking for my money back.  The question
I continually have is "what is the long-term goal of Linux and the
open-source community?"  Is it a hobbyist OS?  Is it something which is
content to remain in the domain of techno-geeks?  Or is this something which
strives for widespread acceptance in the broader business world, to be (if
not on the desktops) on the approved list of every manager out there?  Is
this something that is meant for my mother to use to check her email, surf
the web, and play videos of her grandkids?

If the latter, then we're not there yet.  In many ways, we're not even
close.  For all we say about proprietary software, OS, etc, they have
created an expectation that things *work*.  While I'm happy to answer
questions for my mother, I'm not there all the time to be her on-site IT
department.  I can't take a week or two off of work to dedicate my time to
making sure that her computer functions properly with all (or even most) of
the parts.  Until I can feel comfortable putting a linux machine in my
mother's hands, I can't recommend it as a solution for perhaps 75% of the
people I talk to.  It's those people who maintain the MS "monopoly".

When I see a 1.0.x version number, I expect there to be bugs and problems.
But I expect things to work properly most of the time.  It's in the 2.6
kernel?  That tells me, perhaps falsely, that this is ready for broad-based
use across a wide variety of hardware.  This doesn't appear to be the case.
Am I asking for the ALSA developers to obtain and test every sound boadr on
the market, every chipset?  Not at all.  I wouldn't mind some sort of clear
chart, as has been suggested, specifying just WHAT is *fully*
supported/tested.  Another section, "should work", would be nice, as well as
a "don't hold your breath" section.  This should be a reasonable request -
the developers should know against which hardware they test, what passes and
what fails.  The middle section, the best-guess list, would probably be the
hardest.  Oh, and as long as I'm dreaming, it would be nice to see a clear
and simple explanation of how to tell what chipset is on your card, so that
we can refer to that instead of the manufacturer's model number.

I'm sure some people will tell me to stop whining, what do I want for free.
That's OK - but I'd ask in return what they're doing this for.  I'm trying
to learn, and trying to be an advocate, but it is often difficult when the

Just one more opinion, FWIW.
 -Don