> This is really beginning to annoy me! Whenever I shut down or reboot
> Mandrake (9.2), ALSA forgets all mixer settings. When I start up again,
> everything is reset to 0 volume and all that can be muted is muted.

alsactl store

saves the current settings to /etc/asound.state

alsactl restore retrieves them.

Numerous possibilities how to automate this. Best is to add 'post-install'
stuff to modules.conf. But for that all I can say RTFM. A simple hack
would be something like this:

add script to /etc/init.d/ which contains following

#!/bin/sh
alsactl restore

then add symbolic link to runlevel directory (/etc/rc5.d or something,
type 'runlevel' and you'll get the current runlevel, rc3.d for 3 etc..):

ln -s /etc/init.d/mixerscript S99

Then every time you boot, this gets run.

Tommi