http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=FAQ001
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=FAQ022

> it does not have to be split exactly, but I wonder if I could set the
> asoundrc file so that I can use 'default1' to go to the first device,
> 'default2' to go to the second device, and 'default' to go to the
> ens1371 card.

hmm, just give your alsa app a "hw:0,0" or a "hw:0,1" as device. If you
want to change the OSS emu, read this:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=OssEmulation

and the links on that page point to usefule info

> how can I set the mixer in xine for the via82xx card? at this point
> the mixer in xine is set to 'PCM' which goes to the ens1371 card,... I
> was successful to create a 'default2' thing in the asoundrc file to
> let sound go to the via82xx card.

Each card should have a mixer device. If you have card0 and card1, the
corresponding mixer devices are "hw:0,0" and "hw:1,0". I on't use xine
so i don't know where to set these..

> it probably won't be possible to mix the sound of the second device
> seperatly of the first device?

sure, start alsamixer with the appropriate command line switch [i'm too
lazy to read the manpage now]

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=FAQ018

> or even better, what I'd really like would be a plugin to alsa to let
> me handle multiple sound sources and multiple sound outputs and let me
> for example make 1 sound source to go to (via82xx device 1 and the
> ens1371); another sound source go to (via82xx device 2 and the
> ens1371); another sound source to go to the via82xx device 1 only...
> you know what i mean, an interface to let me handle sounds in ALSA...
> sort of a software synth/mixer...

read the route plugin docs..

> Alien
>
> thanks for all help in advance...