Frank,

Good advice. I worked out the following based on your suggestion:

- Built a new kernel (2.6.3-rc4) without alsa or sound.
- got the alsa-(kernel,driver,firmware) from cvs, including the symlink
to alsa-kernel
- built the alsa-drivers like so
make clean
aclocal
autoconf
./configure --with-cards="emu10k1,usb-usx2y" --with-sequencer=yes
-with-kernel=/usr/src/linux-2.6.3-rc4
make dep
make

- created the devices using snddevices in alsa-drivers
- installed the alsa modules with make install-modules

All good.
- Then I load the modules -- maybe some that autoloaded, but I haven't
checked.

modprobe usbcore
modprobe hid
modprobe uhci-hcd
modprobe usb-midi
modprobe snd-pcm-oss
modprobe snd-mixer-oss
modprobe snd-seq-oss
modprobe snd-usb-audio
modprobe snd-usb-usx2y

- figured out which usb device the tascam was seen on and ran fxload

lsusb
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1604:8007 Tascam

ran fxload like so:

fxload -s /usr/local/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader/tascam_loader.ihx \
-I /usr/local/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader/us122fw.ihx \
-D /proc/bus/usb/001/006

- then usx2yloader and I'm in business:

# aplay -l
card 0: Live [Sound Blaster Live!], device 0: emu10k1 [EMU10K1]
  Subdevices: 31/32
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
8< 8< 8<
  Subdevice #30: subdevice #30
  Subdevice #31: subdevice #31
card 0: Live [Sound Blaster Live!], device 3: emu10k1 [EMU10K1 FX8010]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
8< 8< 8<
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7

card 1: USX2Y [TASCAM US-X2Y], device 0: US-X2Y Audio [US-X2Y Audio #0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

# arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Live [Sound Blaster Live!], device 0: emu10k1 [EMU10K1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Live [Sound Blaster Live!], device 1: emu10k1 mic [EMU10K1 MIC]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Live [Sound Blaster Live!], device 2: emu10k1 efx [EMU10K1 EFX]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 1: USX2Y [TASCAM US-X2Y], device 0: US-X2Y Audio [US-X2Y Audio #0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

So here I am with alsa apparently recognizing both audio cards, my SB (emu10k1) and my US-122.

However, I can't get them both to be recognized by jack at the same time. If I run jackd specifying -C hw:1, then I can get input form the us-122, but then I don't see the output channels of my SB, so I can't monitor what I'm recording, nor can I play anything back via Ardour.

What I'm trying to do is to have jack see all of the inputs and outputs from both my SB and my US-122.

Can anybody shed any light on how to get jackd to see both cards at the same time?

Thanks.

-Eric.

Frank Barknecht wrote:
Hallo,
Eric Berg hat gesagt: // Eric Berg wrote:

I've been trying to get the modules built with no luck. Perhaps you can clarify a few things for me...

First, how did you build the alsa-driver and alsa-kernel cvs packages? Did you copy them into the kernel? The 2.6.x docs suggest that you shoudl copy the alsa-kernel stuff to your linux source dir under the sound directory, but what about the alsa-driver stuff? If I build them in a directory outside of the kernel source tree, all of the modules except the sound mods are deleted - and that usx2y stuff isn't even built at all. That's sort of the essence of the problems that I've run into.

I did no copying at all. First I built a kernel without AlSA or OSS,
just basic sound supprt (soundcore). Do not run "make clean"
afterwards.

Then I checked out alsa-driver and alsa-kernel into a working
directory. My bash_history shows it like this:

export ALSACVS=':pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/cvsroot/alsa'
cvs -d $ALSACVS login
cvs -z3 -d  $ALSACVS co -P alsa-kernel
cvs -z3 -d  $ALSACVS co -P alsa-driver
cvs -z3 -d  $ALSACVS co -P alsa-firmware

You'll have three directories then. Inside alsa-driver alsa-kernel
should be a symlink to "../alsa-kernel like:

(alsa-driver)-$ pwd
/builds/alsa-cvs/alsa-driver
(alsa-driver)-$ ls -ld alsa-kernel
lrwxrwxr-x    1 fbar    fbar          14 Jan 31 17:08 alsa-kernel -> ../alsa-kernel

While in alsa-driver follow the instructions in INSTALL, but *don't*
run cvscompile, instead do it by hand:

Compilation from CVS sources
============================

You need GNU packages autoconf and automake installed in your system
to compile CVS sources of alsa-driver package.

For compilation you can use these commands:

        make ALSAKERNELDIR=../alsa-kernel all-deps
                (if the alsa-kernel-dir is really there)
        aclocal
        autoconf
        ./configure
        make dep
        make

You need do it by hand, because you might want to tell the location of
your kernel-sources to configure with:   --with-kernel=dir

After that, you can install just the modules with "make
install-modules" as root. This will not overwrite your init.d scripts
with ALSA's versions, if you already have them, e.g. from your
distribution.

This worked for me here. You might want to try some alternatives as
described in the Wiki on alsa.opensrc.org as well, but I didn't have
success with anything else.

ciao

-- Eric Berg [EMAIL PROTECTED] cell: 646-418-3608 tel.: 212-217-2918