I loaded alsa-driver-1.0.3 modules for emu10k1 synth emux etc in Linux 2.6.3,
and used alsamixer to unmute every digital and analog channel and to
set the volume of every digital and analog channel to be maximum (100).
I also adjusted the physical volume control on the front panel of the Audigy 2
ZS Platinum to be maximum. Then I used aplay to try playing various wav files.
However, there was complete silence on the headphones.

I also loaded a soundfont and confirmed it had loaded ok in
/proc/asound/*/wavetableD1).  Then I used pmidi to play a MIDI file.
Again there was complete silence.

Any suggestions?

William