Hi,

I have some external harddrives connected to the firewire port of my
Audigy2. Everything works fine, but when I do heavy writes to the
extenal harddrive while I'm using PCM output, then after a couple of
minutes (usually 5-10 GB transfer) the soundcard starts to beep
constantly. The beeping stops when I stop playing, and it starts when I
start playing. Restarting the soundsystem (unloading and loading the
kernel modules) does not fix the problem. The only fix is to reboot the
system.

I have no idea if the problem is ALSA, the kernel or the (SMP-)hardware.

Software: SuSE 8.2 with vanilla kernel-2.4.25-SMP-4GB and ALSA-1.0.3.
Hardware: Tiger MPX, two Athlon MP 2000+, 1 GB ECC RAM and an Audigy2.

I tried several ALSA versions from 0.9 through 1.0.3 and all kernel
versions from 2.4.18 to 2.4.25, yielding the same result.

Does anyone else experience such a problem?

bye,
Thomas.