On Friday 05 March 2004 20:05, Casey Heshler wrote:
> (1) After -=-finally-=- getting ALSA to work on my system, whew, now I am
> having sound quality issues. No hardware was changed, wires, setups as far
> as how the hardware is set up, just ALSA vs the "default" installed sound
> from Knoppix.
>
> I can play an audio cd through XMMS and hear a low clicking noise that runs
> about every five seconds. Both Audacity and ReZound have this problem: I
> can play a external (line) input device audio, it sounds fine, I hit
> record, it appears to have recorded fine, until I play the recorded sound
> back, or save the sound to disk and play it back through any player, I get
> noise -=- like a static sound -=- that accompanies any sound. When the
> sound is silent, so is the noise, but as the sound gets louder, so too does
> the noise. I have tried different volume levels, and same result. What is
> the big deal with ALSA, I didn't have any of these problems with the
> "default" sound in Knoppix.
>
> To further assist the "debugging" of this issue, I have done the following
> tests:
>
> While listening to Line, or Capture, through ALSA - which the audio sounds
> fine...
> I have recorded with the following programs:
> ReZound, Audacity, Sound-Recorder, and KRecorder.
>
> When playing back this same "recorded" sound, which, while I was recording,
> sounded fine, now plays in the following programs, with an associated
> noise: APlay, XMMS, ReZound, and Audacity.
>
> Considering that I have the SAME problem with a multituide of recording
> programs, and using different players for the WAV files - and STILL have
> noise, when a recording is being made, is not their, I think this goes
> deeper than a "program" issue, or hardware, I think it has something to do
> with ALSA, because I "never" had this problem with the default sound
> system, and KMix, through Arts inside Linux.
>
> Can someone please get my recording noiseless, I seriously need to do some
> business, and noise is one thing my customers (probably) will not
> tollerate.
>
> Thanks for any, and all, assistance in resolution,
> Casey

No replies? No one has a clue about my "static" or "noise"?

Some particulars:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/proc/asound# cat cards
0 [rev50          ]: VIA686A - VIA 82C686A/B rev50
                     VIA 82C686A/B rev50 at 0xdc00, irq 10
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/proc/asound# cat devices
  0: [0- 0]: ctl
  8: [0- 0]: raw midi
 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
  1:       : sequencer
 33:       : timer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/proc/asound# cat modules
0 snd-via82xx
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/proc/asound# cat pcm
00-00: VIA 82C686A/B rev50 : VIA 82C686A/B rev50 : playback 1 : capture 1
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/proc/asound# cat timers
G0: system timer : 10000.000us (10000000 ticks)
P0-0-0: PCM playback 0-0-0 : SLAVE
P0-0-1: PCM capture 0-0-1 : SLAVE
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/proc/asound# cat version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.2c.
Compiled on Mar  1 2004 for kernel 2.4.22-xfs (SMP).

Can't someone assist in getting a "clear" recorded source with ALSA - or is
ALSA just "dreamware" as far as working as good as the OSS default from
Knoppix/Debian?

Thanks,
Casey