Takashi Iwai wrote:

At Tue, 09 Mar 2004 09:52:34 -0800,
Rick Knight wrote:

Bill,

I haven't heard back from you since your first reply to my reply to Casey's posting. You commented about airfare and asked for details of my problem and I emailed you that I had posted the details over the last couple of weeks. I haven't heard back from you, so I thought I'd post again.

Below is the text of one of my last posts regarding my SB Live Value card, along with config files and sample output. In addition to that information I discovered that I was able to get sound from the microphone and CD inputs ONLY. Also, I've removed the SB and gone back to the Intel8x0 using OSS kernel modules for audio. OSS does work, But I really would prefer ALSA. If you're interested, I can post similar information from the intel8x0 ALSA drivers.

-----

OK. I've turned off my onboard Intel8x0 soundcard and installed a SoundBlaster Live Value (Digital) card. I've rebuilt the kernel (2.6.3) to remove the Intel8x0 and add the emu10k1 module. I've removed intel8x0 from everywhere I can think of. I've updated modprobe.conf and modules.conf to reflect the new card. I've deleted asoundrc and asound.state. I've installed the ALSA utils, libs and oss-libs for version 1.0.2. I've unmuted and increased the volume of Master, PCM and Headphone as well as anything else that might change the volume in amixer, but I still can't get any sound. I have only one error in my logs and it pertains to midi.

the errors about midi should happen only when you accessed the midi devices. it has nothing to do with the PCM.

the mixer configuration seems ok for me.
to be sure, try the following initialization:

1. stop the whole ALSA service
2. remove /etc/asound.state
3. start ALSA again
4. raise and unmute "PCM" and "Master" volumes.
  both shouldn't be over 80%, otherwise you might get distorted
  sounds with this ac97 codec.
  you don't have to touch others.
5. run
        % aplay foo.wav

also, please make sure the basic set up - connecting to the green jack
properly.  not kidding, it happens quite often...

if it still doesn't work, open the bug tracking entry and attach
/etc/asound.state.

about intel8x0 problem, please post in a different thread, so that the two different problems are not mixed up.

Takashi

Takashi,
I have since discovered that the card I have is a Dell part. I is labeled as SB0200 and it uses the emu10K1X chip. Does this make a diference? I've found some reference on the web about CT~ based Dell Sound Blaster cards not working with ALSA ue to them not having an emu10K1 chip. Would that aply to my SB~ emu10K1X based card?

Thanks,
Rick Knight
([EMAIL PROTECTED])