Thanks, CLemens, for the fast reply.

The good news is that all is working 100% now. Bad news is that I'm still a bit confused :)

Clemens Ladisch wrote:
Bob van der Poel wrote:

I can't seem to get the sequencer (external midi) to work with
alsa.

alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
alias sound-slot-0 es1371

The latter should be snd-ens1371, too.

YEs, as I stated in another message, it appears that something (I'm guessing some init script in Mandrake 9.2, but I'm not sure) is changing this from 'snd-card-0' to 'es1371'. The funny part is that it works.

BTW, I have a Creative PCI64 ... Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 2)

Running pmidi shows that only the raw ports are available:

The raw ports would be shown by "amidi -l".

  pmidi -l
  Port     Client name                       Port name
  64:0     ES1371 - Rawmidi 0                ES1371

Okay, this is a change from earlier versions of alsa and was confusing me. Does it make sense to report the 'Rawmidi' part for a port which is using a sequencer?

Port 64:0 is a sequencer port that routes its data to/from the raw port.

Using 'playmidi' to play a midi file to my keyboard works,

Then the port works.  I guess playing with pmidi and aplaymidi works,
too.

Well, it works now. But when I originally posted the data was going to the port too fast (so I was assuming that it was using raw) ... hence it sounded bad.

I see you wrote aplaymidi. Looks like a nice clean program, and it works fine. Is there any reason that you know of that pmidi should be used?

EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW:   http://www.kootenay.com/~bvdpoel