Hallo,
Tom Schutter hat gesagt: // Tom Schutter wrote:

> I had added /etc/asound.conf as per directions that I found at:
>   http://www.wlug.org.nz/NForce2Notes
> This asound.conf changed the default PCM device to use the S/PDIF
> output, which I am not using.  At the time that I added it, I had
> another set of problems that prevented me from getting sound.
> After removing /etc/asound.conf, aplay now works!

So "default" was indeed redefined. (I somehow misread that part in
your first mail and was under the false impression, that "default" was
working, sorry.)

> After going through this experience, I think one resource that is
> missing is a trouble shooting guide (or maybe I just didn't find it).  A
> number of items in http://alsa.opensrc.org/faq/ cover some of the
> issues, and are a start, but an official trouble shooting guide would be
> better.

One thing, that could go into a future general Troubleshooting guide
is, to remove all local configuration: /etc/asound.conf, ~/.asoundrc
and /etc/asound.state (more?) and start with a clean system.

Personally I see the Wiki as and important part of the ALSA
documentation. It should be linked more prominently on
alsa-project.org or even hosted there to make it more visible. It has
the most user contributed information on alsa besides the mailing list
archives.

Ciao