Hey,

I've been running a 2.6.5 kernel with compiled-in alsa just fine.
Yesterday, however, for reasons that don't matter, I had to reinstall
my machine. Although I'm using the exact same configuration, I can't
get sound properly working (everything seems to work fine, I just don't
hear anything).

Following FAQ007 (alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=FAQ007):

* Alsa is compiled in, which I think is confirmed with "grep
SND /usr/src/linux-2.6.5/.config":

CONFIG_SND=y
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM=y
CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQ_DUMMY=y
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_MPU401_UART=y
CONFIG_SND_AC97_CODEC=y
CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0=y

In dmesg, I find this:

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.4rc2 (Tue Mar 30
08:19:30 2004 UTC).
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.5 to 64
intel8x0_measure_ac97_clock: measured 49260 usecs
intel8x0: clocking to 48000
ALSA device list:
  #0: Intel 82801BA-ICH2 at 0xa800, irq 17

* cat /proc/asound/version:

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.4rc2 (Tue Mar 30
08:19:30 2004 UTC).
Compiled on Apr 18 2004 for kernel 2.6.5.

* aplay /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/res/samples/test.wav:

Playing WAVE '/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/res/samples/test.wav' : Unsigned
8 bit, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono

* alsamixer shows...

Card: Intel 82801BA-ICH2
Chip: Realtek ALC650 rev 1
Item: Master

...and Master Volume is not at zero.

So, clueless as I am, I'm stuck and I don't know what I could do or
where to find more information as to what might be wrong.

I use Debian (unstable) and have tried installing alsa-base, asking it
to configure for intel8x0, but that doesn't seem to help much. When I
run alsaconf, as root, nothing is found, but the output is this:

modinfo: could not find module snd
modinfo: could not find module snd
modinfo: could not find module snd
modinfo: could not find module snd-opl3sa2
modinfo: could not find module snd-cs4236
modinfo: could not find module snd-cs4232
modinfo: could not find module snd-cs4231
modinfo: could not find module snd-es18xx
modinfo: could not find module snd-es1688
modinfo: could not find module snd-sb16
modinfo: could not find module snd-sb8

But I guess that's okay, since I shouldn't be using modules anyway.

Could someone tell me what's going on here? I'm truly humbled by my
ignorance. :-/

Greets,
Tom