Jos Laake wrote:
> Also, how does 'snd-usb-audio' interact with 'audio.o' that ships with
> RedHat 9?

audio is the OSS driver, snd-usb-audio is the ALSA driver.  You can
use only one of them at a time.

> In order to get anything to work under 'ALSA', I need to manually
> 'insmod snd-mixer-oss' and 'insmod 'snd-pcm-oss'.  This seems to
> pull in 'audio.o'.

If you want to use ALSA, don't use audio.o.  However, the hotplug
scripts automatically (try to) load all drivers for USB devices, so
add a line
  audio
to the /etc/hotplug/blacklist file to prevent this driver from being
loaded.

HTH
Clemens