On May 21, 2004 04:22 am, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Apparently, the data is stored in the upper 24 bits of a 32-bit value,
> so S32 would be the correct sample format.  Please apply the patch
> below and use "-f S32" in all aplay/arecord calls.

Ok patch applied, I am using S32

> Interpreted in S32 format, the recorded data in your file would be:

> Looks as if recording works OK.

It seems to, except that  this time with S32 I can't see anything in the
resulting wav file. (I use audacity to look at the resulting file, it shows
12 channels now with no recorded audio at all)  I can't play it yet as aplay
just says the number of channels is not supported. (I tried from 1 - 14 )
It may be geting the number of channels from the wav file. I tried to delete 2
channels but audacity always mixes down an export. I have no other tools.

> What happens when you start recording and then playing at the same
> time?

Still can't play.

> (Maximum signal value would be +/-8388607, so the DC offset in the
> first channel is around 0.07%.  Or was there a signal?  :-)

There is a voice signal on the first channel. The other channels have no
input.

> It's 10 channels in the playing direction.  The ICE1712 has 8 analog
> and 2 digital channels in both directions, and has two additional
> channels when recording (mixed together from the other channels for
> monitoring, or something like that).

Yes thats it exactly. 10 channels - 2 digital - and a monitor mix.

I did get another crash but again it was in KDE. Again unable to
see the console so no info available. Unable to reproduce from the
command lne. I suspect some interaction with KDE. Still working on
2.6.6 not completely working yet.

Gwyneth