Philipp Morger wrote:

I get the red, I also switched the optical in to the dvd input (thought it mattered, because I use the LD input), but it doesn't make a difference.

I read that's because the "audio bit" is set, but when I manualy
override the bit with the iecset command it still shows as "red dts"
and ac3 still doesn't work.

all the problems happen whether the sound get's played from harddisk or
dvd / xine or mplayer - so I have to assume that it's some driver/amp
issue.

Yes. The Yamaha A1 seems very picky to decode AC3 or DTS. Since the A1 is something like 5 or 6 years old, I wonder if some subtle changes were introduced in encapsulating AC3 in SPDIF since then ...

I read a mail [1] in the archive where a guy replaced an amp with a yamaha amp and run in the problem that ac3 stopped working... so yamaha is picky, yes - BUT, I do have a state-of-the-art dvd player... and the player is able to deliver the stream to the yamaha amp and the amp plays it nicely... so I doubt that the standard has changed...

Yeah, I joined the list just a few days ago, and hadn't your
email-address...

As for now, I have to guess that nobody of the "digital out team" has an
"Yamaha DSP A1", or anothre "picky" amp and therefore they couldn't get
caught by this problem - I took a brief look in the AES definition - and
for me it's a little bit black-magic, as I'm no sound-expoert; neither
do I have the euipment to dump the audio signal not to say to compare
the ac3 or dts header data to figure out what the dvd player delivers
that my soundcard doesn't....

The question now is, how do we get the problem fixed? I would sure fix
it myself if I were not such a lousy C programmer and would understand
what this "channel status bits" would mean - but I don't. I can offer my
assistance in testing to see if it "works for me", and I would love to
consider my assistance in any other aspect I don't came up right know.

Regards
Philipp

[1] http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ac3+alsa+yamaha&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3806ecf1.0207160129.1c78afde%40posting.google.com&rnum=1

I think I am about the only developer that plays with SPDIF(aka.Digital) outputs.
I have helped implement SPDIF on the following sound cards: -
1) Intel ICH5 and ALC650 motherboard based.
2) SB Live
3) SB Audigy/Audigy2 (I have not touched an Audigy 2 ZS)

I have an Audigy LS, and cannot get SPDIF to work on that. It just outputs analogue signal all the time, with both my alsa driver, and the 4front oss drivers. (Windows would take too long to install just for a test, so I have not done that)

I do not have a cs46xx based sound card, so I cannot help much.

First thing is to ignore problems you might be having with DTS over SPDIF. I don't have an external DTS decoder so I cannot test this at all. As a result xine's DTS SPDIF output support will be patchy at best.

I can test AC3 SPDIF output as I have a cheepo external AC3 decoder.
As a result, AC3 (aka. A52 passthru) in xine is fairly good quality, but in some situations, it can corrupt an AC3 SPDIF frame, causing breaks in the sound output.

For basic Stereo PCM over SPDIF, you should get sound out.

So, can you report to me what outputs currently work.
1) PCM over SPDIF ?
2) AC3 over SPDIF

Once we get both PCM and AC3 working, DTS will just work.

If someone would like to donate a CS46xx based sound card, that would also help a lot, as I can record a pure SPDIF signal using the ICH5, and therefore can tell what is going wrong very quickly.

Cheers
James