> > But alas...this is not to be!  You can get both cards working in tandem
> > (of sorts) with the right ".asoundrc" file but they will not stay in
> > sync. I had 2 identical SBlive 5.1's and prayed constantly and fervently
> > to the great God of ALSA whom betrothed to us the .asoundrc miracle.

Yes, this is true. Two cards can be used to record simultaneously. The
won't be synced and I don't think JACK can handle two cards. ALSA can.

> Can you be more specific about what you mean by "they will not stay
> in sync"? Does the recording fail? Are the multiple trackes hopelessly
> detuned, time stretched? Does this affect short (~3 min) tracks or just
> long (~30 min) tracks?
>
> I've got three cheap-o SBLive Value cards that are begging me to try
> something like this, but I want to know if it's even worth the effort.

Ok. Here is the thing. Each card has individual clock source and they all
are unique frequencies, although very close to each other, but never
absolutely the same.

Because of this, recordin 100 seconds of 44100 with three cards will be
the same length in file, but the pitch is slightly different. So if you
play all three files at the same time with one card, you will hear the
difference.

If you play the three files each with the card that recorded the file,
they should be ok. (But it might be hard to achieve this due to different
latencies between the cards)

You can try to circumvent the sync difference:

1. Record one source with three cards (1,2,3) to three files A,B,C
( 1->A , 2->B , 3->C )

2. Play 2 with B and record it with A (loop the wires from card B output
to A input) (->B')

3. Play 3 with C and record it with A (loop the wires from card C out to
A in) (->C')

4. Now, play A,B',C' simultaneously with card 1 and listen. If my theory
works, you shouldn't hear any sync differences.

Tommi