> In "dmesg" I get the error message
> Yamaha DS-XG PCI: probe of 0000:03:06.0 failed with error -16

Not sure what error -16 is, but I'm guessing it's something like "device
not found" or similar.

> 177:          0   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd:usb2  0/0
> which I suppose would mean a conflict? But I tried disabling USB in
> the BIOS and after that the soundcard still had IRQ177 but there was
> no entry for 177 in /proc/interrupts.

Multiple PCI devices can share the same interrupt, so there's no
conflict.

> Does someone have an idea what I could try that might help?
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.9rc2  (Thu Mar 24
> 10:33:39 2005 UTC).

What kernel version are you using?  I'd suggest upgrading to the latest
kernel which should include the newest ALSA drivers - you might have
more success with these.

Cheers,
Adam.