On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 13:25 -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
> hi -- i understand that sometimes channels are mislabeled, and
> that pcm2 sometimes means "headphones", or "main", but
> assuming that that's not the case, does the presence of a pcm2
> channel imply that one could play two digital sources at once
> (e.g., two wav files) and have them mixed by the hardware?
>
> if so, what devices would one use?
>
> i run a whole-house audio system.  i have both music (duh.  :-)
> and also a home-automation menuing system.  currently, i run a
> nas server on top of the audio device, because it's capable of
> mixing inputs from various clients.  i use a NAS-enabled mpg123
> to play the music, and i use auplay to send the festival-generated
> voice data.  so my music can keep playing while i check my
> voicemail, for instance.  i'd like to eliminate the nas server
> (just to make things simpler) but i know of no other easy way to
> do pcm signal mixing.  (i'd also be happy with having one input
> override the other input -- i.e., the voice response menu system
> would have priority over music.)

You must be using an old version of ALSA.  With 1.0.9 and later this
should Just Work - if your hardware can't mix multiple channels then
alsa-lib will handle the mixing.

You have to make sure all your ALSA apps are using the "default" PCM.
Some buggy apps like XMMS default to "hw:0,0" which has always been
wrong.

Lee