On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Lee Revell wrote:

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 23:30 -0800, Bill Unruh wrote:
The question of course is NOT why aumix has a volume control which
works
but why the alsa mixer (which surely is part of alsa) has no volume
control, and as a result I could not turn up the  output volume using
alsamixer.
Surely the complete absense of a volume control is a bug.

Not necessarily, lots of hardware does not have a volume control these
days.  Maybe aumix calls PCM "volume", who knows.  You would have to
look at the source.

No. aumix has both a pcm and a volume control. The pcm is the same as teh
pcm under alsamixer (if I change the one, the other changes as well to the
same level) but has a volume control that the alsamixer does not have. I
adjusted ALL of the controls in alsamixer and got none which increased the
volume above barely audible through my headphones. The Volume control in
aumix did increase the volume to more than audible. Ie, aumix has a control
for the hda-intel driver that alsamixer does not have. And surely both
aumix and alsamixer go through the same driver (since it is the only one
there). Note that both alsa mixer and aumix query the driver to ask which mixer
controls it has.

Lee

UBC, Vancouver,BC  |   Program in Cosmology |     [EMAIL PROTECTED]