On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:42:32 +0100
Takashi Iwai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:03:45 +0200,
> Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> >
> > P.S. On Mandriva 2006.0 'xpdf' is broken. So, being constructively lazy,
> > I just replaced it with the one from Mandriva 10.2. Of course, I did this
> > by picking Mandriva 10.2 'xpdf' RPM. That is, I reverted to older BINARY
> > version.
> >
> > I believe that ALSA users should have the ability to simply revert to older
> > binary version of ALSA as well.
>
> The binary compatibility of alsa-lib has been kept for long time.  We
> have occasionally fixes and extensions, but the old binary should run.
>
> However, the often problematic part during versions is the
> confiugration.  It's not API/ABI.
>

> Takashi

Again, in simple English, is there a document describing how
to install, say, binary ALSA version 1.0.6 on 2.6.15 kernel ?

Also, please see very recent Lee's note and pay attention to these words:

"
This won't work as 1.0.9-rc4 is older than the version that comes with
kernel 2.6.13.  Either use the latest ALSA release (1.0.10) or just use
the version included with kernel 2.6.13.
".

Guys, actually, nobody cares how you call it - ABI or API.

Let's talk in consumer's language - if newer binary version doesn't
work, but an older binary version used to work, making the whole thing
work should be no more complex than replacing new 'xpdf' RPM with the
old one.