Lee Revell wrote:

I have not made any silly statements.  Yes, closed source is debugged,
by the people who have the source code.  If parts of the kernel are
allowed to be closed source it becomes impossible for anyone except the
people who have the source code to the closed part to debug it.
Actually, Lee, it's worse than that. And I've yet to see you make a silly statement. In userland I had a problem with apparently unrelated libraries interfering with each other. It turned out that is was a bad case of symbol overloading -- and I only found the problem by having the source of both libraries.

If you have bad interactions between two closed-source drivers in the kernel then there is no one who can debug the problem because no one has the source needed to debug the problem.

I think, to be honest, the problem about source code is more to do with who can make the fix. If there's a bug that annoys me and my friends enough, we'll either fix it or analyse the source enough to work around it. My friends and I have next to no influence over any vendors so if we have a bug in there code we either live with it or change the hardware. It's only when such a bug affects enough people that the manufacturer does something about it, and by that time there's been a lot of damage done to the vendors reputation -- look how much people like the old creative soundcards and how much bad press the new ones get and by the time Creative notice they've shot themselves in the foot it'll be too late.

jch