On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 18:36 +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:
> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Lee Revell wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 21:24 +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:
> > > I've got two PCs which I use mainly for watching video with MPlayer (for
> > > various reasons Xine isn't so practical) and it has A/V sync problems on
> > > them. I think it may be because my cheap & nasty sound cards lack some
> > > feature that MPlayer relies on to sync properly:
> > > <http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/audio.html#sync>. Unfortunately it
> > > doesn't say exactly what the feature is and which are the bad drivers.
> >
> > Try mplayer with "-ao oss", this helps with the sync problems for me.
> > It seems that mplayer's ALSA support is still buggy.
>
> Thanks, it does seem to work on both machines! NB -ao sdl is also buggy.
>
> Unfortunately I have a similar problem with vdr-softdevice. I think it's
> going to be worth putting in an eBay bid on a Santa Cruz anyway; I
> reckon it could still improve sound quality and reduce the amount of
> framedropping MPlayer needs to do to keep in sync.

This is really not a long term solution, someone needs to take the time
to figure out what's wrong with mplayer's alsa driver.  I don't think
the mplayer developers care.

One thing I noticed is that it reports xruns and resets the stream on
each xrun which is wrong, an app like mplayer needs to disable xrun
reporting.

Lee