On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 10:29 -0800, Bill Unruh wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Lee Revell wrote:

> >> I asked myself the very same question but found it irrelevant. But because
> >> of
> >> that I kept on searching and found this as well. It refeers to the patch.
> >>
> >> http://sq5bpm.sp5zcc.waw.pl/v2040.php
> >>
> >> There's also a post about installing FreeBSD on FS 2040.
> >>
> >> http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/fujitsu.html
> >>
> >> His suggestion is to port Azalia from NetBSD. Maybe that's just a xBSD
> >> local
> >> thing, I don't know. Don't really know in what way BSD differs in
> >> architecture and directory structure. But it seems to me that NetBSD has
> >> HDA
> >> working without any problems.
> >
> > HDA works fine for most people on Linux too.  Why in the heck would we
> > want to rip out a perfectly good driver and replace it with one from
> > ANOTHER OS just to fix one hardware-specific bug?  That's insane.
>
> Not to those affected by that bug it is not!

None of the people complaining about it seem very motivated to track it
down... for example some have reported that older versions work, which
could be critical for debugging this, but no one has bothered to verify
it.  The BSD Azalia driver is probably based on the original driver from
Intel, same as the ALSA driver.

For anyone waiting for this to fix itself, it's unlikely, as the
developers do not have the hardware to test it!  More information is
needed from the users.

Lee