On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:47:39 +0000
John Haxby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 12:02:10 +0000
> >John Haxby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >>I have a Griffin iMic which works perfectly.    I think it does
> >>everything you want, it's also cheap: mine is the older silver model and
> >>cost $35.  Haven't tried (or seen) the newer white one but I'd be very
> >>surprised if it didn't just work.    The quality is pretty good
> >>although, for some odd reason, I can hear hum from my laptop power
> >>supply when I connect it to an amplifier instead of headphone.   I
> >>suspect that's more a problem with the laptop rather than the iMic.
> >>

> >Try a thick wire to connect your laptop's ground with your
> >amplifier's one.
> >
> >Outer connectors shields, like the ones of serial port or display
> >connector are good candidates to be used as ground.
> >

> That's a good idea.   An earth loop does seem to be the most likely
> problem.   Mind you, neither the mixer nor the power amp have their own
> earth so I suspect that it's the two computers that provide input to the
> mixer having a bit of a fight.    The Dell laptop power supply does seem
> to have an earth connection.   Alas, in the only case where it really
> matters (in a theatre) adding an extra earth connection isn't
> practical.   It's a Dell laptop and seems to have an earth connection
> running through the external power supply: other laptops I've used in
> the past don't have an earth connection for the external power supply
> and are probably just fine.   I'm really not sure wh Dell think an earth
> is important :-)   The battery lasts long enough though ...
>
> I was somewhat surprised at the hum, but since there isn't electrical
> isolation between the audio output and the rest of the computer I
> shouldn't be that surprised I suppose.
>
> jch

Regarding "ind you, neither the mixer nor the power amp have their own
earth" - well, my Denon AV receiver has a special plastic capped nut on
a threaded rod being marked as ground - the marks looks more or less like
this:

-----
/////

.

It's on the back of the receiver.

If you do not have a dedicated ground connection, you probably have
a lot of screws on the back of your power amp, so you can use them
to connect the two grounds.