Lee Revell wrote:
On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 22:14 +1100, Daniel Kasak wrote:

After this, console apps like aplay and mpg123 will play the 1st 1/2
second or so of a given sound, and then loop continuously until I kill it.
Other apps ( xmms, xine, totem ) simply crash. Yet other applications (
ut2004 ) work, but without sound.

Known issue.  Try all "position_fix" values, if that does not work try
ALSA CVS.

Thanks for the response.

I've tried all combinations of models and position_fix values now. I also managed to update to 1.0.11rc3 ( from 1.0.10rc3 ), but I've been unable to compile from cvs - I don't get past the part about alsa_kernel ( ie the 1st step ). It doesn't appear to work for me as in the docs.

The laptop has gone back to base for other repairs anyway, so I'll have another go at cvs when it returns.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer