Hello all, I have reached the end of my knowledge and cannot find
anything relevant that I can understand on Google. Please help me get my
new Ubuntu 5.10 system to recognize my second SoundBlaster. It's an
SBlive 5.1. (both are actually). lspci shows two
cards, /proc/asound/devices shows one. Also in /proc/asound there is
only a "card0" entry.

0000:02:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1
(rev 0a)
        Subsystem: Creative Labs SBLive! 5.1 Digital Model SB0220
        I/O ports at c000 [size=32]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

0000:02:07.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game
Port (rev 0a)
        Subsystem: Creative Labs Gameport Joystick
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
        I/O ports at c400 [size=8]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

0000:02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1
(rev 0a)
        Subsystem: Creative Labs SBLive! 5.1 Digital Model SB0220
        I/O ports at e6002000 [size=32]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

0000:02:09.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game
Port (rev 0a)
        Subsystem: Creative Labs Gameport Joystick
        I/O ports at e6002020 [size=16]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# ls /proc/asound/
card0  cards  devices  hwdep  Live  modules  oss  pcm  seq  timers
version
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# cat /proc/asound/devices
  1:       : sequencer
  4: [0- 0]: hardware dependent
  8: [0- 0]: raw midi
 19: [0- 3]: digital audio playback
 18: [0- 2]: digital audio playback
 26: [0- 2]: digital audio capture
 25: [0- 1]: digital audio capture
 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
  0: [0- 0]: ctl
  6: [0- 2]: hardware dependent
  9: [0- 1]: raw midi
 10: [0- 2]: raw midi
 33:       : timer

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/etc# cat asound.conf-okay
# START
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=4 snd_device_mode=0660
snd_device_gid=29 snd_device_uid=0
#
# SBLive
alias snd-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10kx0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-osshree
#alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10kx0
options snd-card-emu10kx0 id="left" snd_enable
alias sound-slot-0 snd-slot-0

# SBLive2
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
#alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
#alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-card-1 snd-emu10kx1
options snd-card-emu10kx1 id="right" snd_enable
alias sound-slot-1 snd-slot-1

#post-install
snd-synth-emu10k1 /usr/bin/sfxload /dos/audio/sblive/SFBank/8mbgmsfx.sf2
# END

I have experimented with an /etc/asound.conf (there wasn't one
originally). With no success. I'm including it for completeness but it
doesn't seem to work, maybe that is what's wrong.

Thanks very much in advance.

Paul Kelly