"alsamixer -c 2 -V capture" but it says " No mixer elems found".
When I run "alsamixer -c 2" I get 3 sliders for playback, although
Maya has 2 stereo outputs???!! I discovered that the third actually
controls one of the input channels, but driving it to 100 still produces low
volume audio. When I use my laptop's soundcard input the captured
volume is much much louder.

I ran  amixer -c 2
Simple mixer control 'Speaker',0
 Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
 Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
 Limits: Playback 0 - 255
 Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [on]
 Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Speaker',1
 Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
 Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
 Limits: Playback 0 - 255
 Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [on]
 Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Speaker',2
 Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
 Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
 Limits: Playback 0 - 255
 Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [on]
 Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [on]

For some reason I see 3 Speaker entries only in the playback section
and no capture entries.

--
http://www.egoboobits.net/HiramAbiff