From: Lee Revell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Mon 3/20/2006 4:49 PM
To: Bobby Acha
Cc: alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Alsa-user] FW: Ice 1712 problems

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 16:04 -0700, Bobby Acha wrote:

> Hi all,
>

>   Here is my problem.  I have set up a Delta 44 (ice1712) soundcard.
> It is functioning, but I am having great difficulty in setting up the
> ability to record or play from multiple pairs of channels at the same
> time.  I also am having a hard time playing directly to the hw:0,0
> device.  I am however able to use plughw:0,0.
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# aplay test.wav
>
> Playing WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
> Stereo Aborted by signal Interrupt...
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# aplay -D hw:0,0 test.wav Playing WAVE
> 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
>
> aplay: set_params:896: Sample format non available

This won't work as you are trying to play an S16_LE .wav file to the hw
device which only supports S32_LE.  You must use plughw to play
normal .wav files on this device.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# arecord -D ch12 test.wav ALSA lib
> pcm_dshare.c:613:(snd_pcm_dshare_open) The dshare plugin supports only
> playback stream
>
> arecord: main:544: audio open error: Invalid argument

I think you want dsnoop not dshare here.

>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# arecord -D hw:0,0 test.wav Recording WAVE
> 'test.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
>
> arecord: set_params:896: Sample format non available

See above - you are trying to capture 8 bit audio from the hw: device
which only supports S32_LE.  Plughw should work.